Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tribute to Transcendentalism

Once I lived a worldly life, filled with
Tasks and toys and all earthly joys, and
It was all about me.

One day I felt, despite all of that, I'd somehow lost myself.

So I leaped off the corporate ladder;
I conceded the race to the rats
And landed in strange fields.

I saw that it is a crime to eat other creatures, and became a vegan,
And was happier for it.
I rejected violence, became a pacifist,
Saw the futility and falsity of politics,
Turned away from the world,
And was the happier for it.

I gave away my toys and cars,
Said farewell to family and friends and my dog,
Joined an ashram, living by meditation and donation,
And was happier for it.

Now, I spend each day in contented contemplation,
Aiming ever for ego-obliteration,
Living in the moment
Peaceful and resolved,
Because at long last,
It's only about me.

No comments: